Monday, June 17, 2013

In case you hadn't guessed

The reason for my extended silence:

Someone has been taking most of my time and attention. I've basically become a one handed person - while one hand is almost always holding baby, I have learned to eat, Tweet and read the gossip pages with the other hand. 

Typing blog posts has been a tougher hurdle. In case you ever wondered, the Blogger iPad app sucks, so I broke out my poor, neglected laptop just to introduce you to Mr. L.

I'll share the story of his arrival with you, but please feel free to stop reading now if you don't care. But if you like to hear about these things, here goes.

On June 6 I went to the hospital to be induced. At almost 42 weeks, my child was showing no signs of coming out on his own. Who can blame him? This is a world where Nancy Grace and Donald Trump are rich and famous and people are stupid enough to believe they are worthy of attention. It's bleak.

The evening of the 6th (Friday) I was admitted and given the goods to get things going. For the next 24 hours I had irregular contractions, but otherwise wasn't making great progress. Also, hospitals are way boring, have terrible cable options and the food is vile:

After 24 hours I started having serious, serious contractions. Like OMG contractions. Let me say this: I had hoped to try for a natural birth, but with the OMG contractions I changed my mind immediately. Turns out my reluctant child was in the posterior position, which causes back labor, which sucks balls let me tell you. And when I got that epidural? I was in OMG bliss. I actually told the nurse I was going to marry the epidural, that's how good it was.

Anyhou, 6 hours of epidural bliss later I had some more unpleasant feelings, and the doctor told me I was ready to go. Ah, sweet relief - not long now, right? Haha, wrong. My doctor told me that the pushing part usually takes 2-3 hours, but guess how long my pushing took? Guess. 6 hours. You want to feel like death? Try pushing for 6 hours. And having it accomplish nothing. After all that effort, my baby was still not willing to come out. I was given three options: 1) keep pushing. 2) have him vacuumed out, with the complications that can involve or 3) c-section. My doctor, to his credit and eternal patience didn't advocate for any of them, but wanted me to make the decision completely on my own. That's pretty rare in an OB, especially after he had been with me for 6 hours of pushing, and probably had other patients. I chose c-section. Not what I had wanted going in, but after 36 hours of trying to lure little Leo out, I had no more energy to keep going. And voila, L. was born Sunday, June 9 at 1:52 pm.

We've now been home since Wednesday (our wedding anniversary) and are adjusting to life with a new roommate. Izzy is none too pleased about this new addition, but he's getting better.

And that is where I've been these last couple weeks, so I hope you'll forgive my absence.


  1. What a sweet little peanut! Congratulations!! I'd say it gets easier to find time to blog, but, uh, I'm a bad role model in that department. haha

    Just relax and we'll be here when you get back!

  2. What a stubborn little man, haha!

    Congratulations again, he is so cute!

  3. Congratulations! Cool one-sie, too. Sorry about the c-section, but I'm glad you are both doing well (I had one, too). Hope you aren't feeling too beat up :)

  4. Awww - congrats! What a cutie :)
    Sorry you didn't get the delivery experience you wanted, but it looks like it was all worth it :)

  5. Congratulations! And welcome, little Leo! His little snubby nose is killing me! (Reminds me of my little girl's, and she is somehow going to be 2 soon and that is also killing me.)

    1. Also, how many times can I say 'little' in one post?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...